Founded at Liverpool in 1923 by the influential British Hispanist E. Allison Peers, the Bulletin of Spanish Studies is a learned review dedicated to research into the languages, literatures, histories and civilizations of Spain, Portugal and Latin America. Also known as the Bulletin of Hispanic Studies (1949–2001), the Bulletin of Spanish Studies soon established an international reputation, and is now recognised world wide as one of the front-ranking journals in the field of Hispanic scholarship.
The Bulletin ’s editors have included E. Allison Peers, founder-editor, Albert Sloman, Geoffrey Ribbans, Harold Hall, Dorothy S. Severin, Ann L. Mackenzie, C. A. Longhurst, James Whiston and Jeremy Robbins. An international committee of Hispanists, set up in 1949, has functioned continuously since that date to advise the Editors of the Bulletin . In 1995 the Bulletin relocated to the University of Glasgow, which is its present editorial and publishing base.
The Bulletin , which had last modified its title in 1949, reverted from Volume LXXIX, 2002 to its original title: Bulletin of Spanish Studies , without loss of editorial continuity, volume-numbering, or breadth of coverage. As its subtitle confirms, the Bulletin continues to publish ‘Hispanic Studies and Researches on Spain, Portugal and Latin America’.
Between 1923-1997, the Bulletin was published as a quarterly; then in 1998 it expanded to 5 issues annually; and in 2002, to coincide with the Bulletin ’sreversion to its original title, another increase, to 6 issues per volume-year, plus supplement, was implemented. In 2004 the Bulletinfurther expanded in size and frequency, and now publishes 8 issues per year ; these 8 issues may include up to 3 special numbers or book-length Hispanic publications. This further expansion enables the Bulletin to publish more research articles and reviews every year, as well as longer works of reference and criticism, and ensures their prompt availability to scholars.